New struts

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacypusher
First Gear

New struts

Post by Legacypusher »

I've been checking the net for new strut prices and the best I can find is $65 a pop for GR2's at thepartsbin.com, with free shipping, for my old FWD. The same price @ replacementshocks.com, with free shipping, too.

Anyone know of a better price, or have any experiences to relate with either of these sellers? I'd appreciate the input. Should I spring for the new boot kits @ $13 a wheel, too, or just use the old ones on new struts?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
islander
First Gear

Post by islander »

Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Thanks for replying, but those struts are for AWD's and later models than my old wagon. I must have asked a really stupid question to have so few replies--sorry. I was just hoping to tap into the knowledge base here that has been so helpful before when I needed some advice.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

those are prob as cheap as youll find them. Sounds about right.

or you could always convert to AWD :)
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
islander
First Gear

Post by islander »

Legacypusher wrote:Thanks for replying, but those struts are for AWD's and later models than my old wagon. I must have asked a really stupid question to have so few replies--sorry. I was just hoping to tap into the knowledge base here that has been so helpful before when I needed some advice.
Do the fight. Ask seller if he can get you the FWD version. I do it all the time with good results. BTW you will lose some ride quality with them.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

did you check www.ajusa.com
they also have free shipping, got my 94 touring gr2 for about 70 each, shipped, brand new and fast service. they also have the cheapest prices for K&N filters.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Legacypusher
First Gear

new struts

Post by Legacypusher »

I contacted the seller on ebay and he promised to get back to me with a price and I never heard from him again. I ordered the GR-2's from replacementshocks.com and they were here in just a few days. Great service at a good price; I'd recommend them. Now all I have to do is summon the mo to install them in this heat. It's hitting 93 or so everyday here with humidity to match. August in S. GA sucks.
Don

Legacypusher
First Gear

new struts

Post by Legacypusher »

I called a local tire shop, whose owner I know, and he quoted 6.6 hrs labor to install the four struts. Thanks to this bbs, I told him that you guys had told me that the job could be done in about 4 hrs. by owners in their own garages. He said that he would install the struts for 4 hrs. labor, and toss in an professional four wheel alignment at that price. $240 total. I went for it, and I can't believe how much better the old gal drives, and I send thanks to all of you folks who make this such a great forum.
Don

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

how did the gr-2s help your driving?

is it stiffer?
islander
First Gear

Post by islander »

asc_up wrote:how did the gr-2s help your driving?

is it stiffer?
Yes they are stiffer. Less body roll, less body flex and ride a couple of clicks to the harsh side.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

hmmm...
so would you recommend them for everyday driving?
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

GR2's are good for everyday driving. They're not so stiff that your teeth fall out.

That's what the WRX springs are for :D
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
islander
First Gear

Post by islander »

asc_up wrote:hmmm...
so would you recommend them for everyday driving?
They are all right for everyday driving but if I had to change them
again it would be back to stock or something adjustable.