Need pinouts of rear connectors on radio

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Vanguard
In Neutral

Need pinouts of rear connectors on radio

Post by Vanguard »

1992 Subaru Legacy L wagon

Having a power problem with the old AM/FM/Cassette deck. Most of the time it has no power. Once in a blue moon it will turn on but only for maybe a day. I yanked it out and reseated the connectors a few times thinking the contacts might be corroded and wiping the contacts might clean them enough to get the unit working. It worked after the first time I replugged the connectors but stopped on later replugs. I even used the tip of an Xacto blade to scrape across the contacts (could only to the ones in the unit since the ones in the connectors were unreachable) to make sure there was good contact. Nope, still didn't help.

When I plug in the connectors, I hear a click-clickclick-click noise inside the radio. Since the key wasn't even in Acc position, I was surprised to hear any electrical sounds but then I realized that the clock is always powered and so is the unit to remember the programmed stations. I'm wondering what are the pinouts for the connectors. Some would be to the speakers, one or more for grounds, one for constant power, and one or more for switched power. It is possible that I have a power problem back in the wiring, like the switched power lead is flaky (i.e., the radio is good but its switched power is flaky). I dug up my old Chilton Subaru manual and it was worthless for the wiring diagrams that it shows regarding the radio, speaker, pwr antenna, and all other connects to the radio.

For $25, I already bought a used replacement unit that was supposedly tested as good. However, it won't work, either. So it is likely that I have wiring problems back in the harness. By probing with a digital multimeter, I figured out the constant power wire (blue/red) and 2 wires for switched power (yellow/red, one on each connector). I'm guessing the black wire (in only 1 of the 2 connectors) is ground and it tested for continuity. I don't know what the other wires are for.
Legacy-Version94
In Neutral

Post by Legacy-Version94 »

'94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=18605#18605]Mods[/url]
'88 Toyota Supra Turbo
'97 Suzuki GSXR 750