oil leak from front of engine, oil pump?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

oil leak from front of engine, oil pump?

Post by Nate S »

Ok,
so a few days ago I decide that my turbo wagon should get a tune up, so I change plugs / wires/ filters/ atf and oil. So the next day we head up to the mountains for our weekly snowboarding trip and when we get there and park there is CLOUDS of oil smoke comming off the exhaust. So I poke around and check fluid levels etc , find that it can wait till I get home to mess with. When I got home I proceded to check the filter , drain plug etc, replaced the filter just in case ( I have had a problem with some filters on my wrx just NOT sealing for some reason ) and I still seem to have some oil seeping down from under the timing belt covers. So I have searched a bit and found that it is possible that the oil pump could be loose, or the front seal is leaking, or both. So my questions is this, how hard is it to change the seal, is this a pull the engine sort of deal or something I can do with the engine in place? is there anything else I should look out for when doing this, tips etc. I am mechanically capable of doing this so that is not an issue. I wanted to check with the knowledge on the board before doing it.

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you at it think about:

New oil pump
New water pump
New Timing belt
New timing tensioner
New seals (3)
New drive belts
New Thermostat
New hoses

When you replace the seals around the crank and such you have to take the above items apart anyways, so its best to do it all at once. Using subaruparts.com you can get all the parts for fairly low cost and then have piece of mind knowing that basically the whole front of your engine is new.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=297049
Last edited by ciper on Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

Yea I figured I would change all that anyway, my friend owns a machine shop so I get all my parts through him at cost ( which helps at times like this ) . are there any special things I need to know about replacing the front seals?

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

ok, so I am getting differing info on this, does anyone know if the water pump is different from the non turbo and turbo ej 22 ?

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Different YES

They arent different in function but the turbo has an extra nipple on the elbow and the mount surface is 90 degree tilted for the thermo.

I bet you could use the turbo pump on an NA though
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

i have same problem,saving money to do job.may as well put in new cam seals while you are at it.i think mine is leaking from cam seals actualy,but just went through this ordeal with my 98 forester S,it was the crank seal on that though.seams to be a weak point,do many of you others have or have had this problem?the seals are cheap,usually under 10$us,but if you do it its a pain in the @$$,but if you have a shop do it you'll pay high labor. but no you do not have to pull engine,get a chilson or haynes repair manual.i have the haynes manual and its pretty straight forward.hope this helps :) oh ya and if you have a shop do it its always a good idea to ask for your old parts back,before they do the work,that way you can be sure about the work and have old parts just in case :lol:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

yea I am gonna do it myself,
got the parts on my workbench, all the seals, timing belt etc while I am at it.

will be a fun weekend :P

Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
shop # 916 631 7440
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

yea my cranks seals and cam seals are leaking oil also... must be a weak point of this car like u said...
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Subaru supposidly has upgraded their cam and crank seals to a better quality/more ware resistant material. The old seals were black and the newer ones that you can get from the dealerships are more of an off-brown color(new material). Replaced mine and have had no problems but they don't have 100,000 miles on them like the old ones. The engine doesn't have to be pulled to change the seals either, easily done while replacing the timing belt, just a few more steps.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Nate S: where at in northern california you live?
gt tankie
First Gear

Post by gt tankie »

Hmmmm, a curly one
I had the sme problem. What colour is the fluid? For me it was p/steering fluid (red atf). This leaks thru the wires that come out the back of the p/steering pump (fluid sensor) and runs down and appears from behind the cam belt cover in a rather stealthy manner. Easy fix, replace the sensor. Dime adozen at the wreckers.
hope it helps.