Am I getting old or something?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Am I getting old or something?

Post by entirelyturbo »

I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but now that I have given up on the speedracer thing (for now... :wink: ), and relegated my BC to simple transportation, I enjoy driving it more...

With the rims off, the car feels more liberated, like it has had a burden lifted from it, literally those rims are 40lbs each!

After a few aforementioned "Italian tune-ups" out of anger with the car, it runs better, and now that I have stopped putting 93 octane in it and am now using 89, not only is my pocketbook happier, but so is the car...

I still have the cone filter for aural satisfaction, and the slight extra juice makes it more easy to live with...

My car is quieter and smoother on the highway, which I use a lot, and it has become very friendly as a daily-driver...

I have never enjoyed driving this car more since I've owned it, I guess looks and speed aren't everything, huh?

So an 18-year-old has put away his racing gloves and is a happier person for it? Weird...

Anyone else want to comment or share another story?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

After getting all my wheel bearings replaced and tracking down all the little rattles my car is very calming. I installed some 3 way speakers in the front and rear locations that were close out models (very cheap) then used the wrx 6 disk with the wrx sub.

I bring up the local classical station and cruise to work at 75mph.

Im more happy with this car than any of the others I have owned, and would rather have it than many of the new vehicles I have ridden in.

With the suspension at the right level (not too hard not too soft, think bmw 5 series) the car handles well but wont shake you over a bump.

When i had my supra I would break the 100mph barrier EVERY MORNING on the way to work. Many times over a bridge near my office I was going 115+

Its been along time since I have even broke 100, even though I know the car isnt straining to get to that speed and beyond.

Sure I still accellerate like mad, entering the highway from the onramp at 70. The only problem is that sometimes Im going faster than the cars already cruising :roll:

How I see it? I wish my car was able to maintain a constant 70mph. Meaning as soon as a light turned green I would hit 70 in a second or two, then cruise would kick in and Id sit back.

Id take the new 2.5 STI WRX with an 80mph speed limiter and be very happy.
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I'm trying to cut back on speed. I have to fight Rt.2 going into Boston, so when I hit I-95 and it opens up a little, so do I. I like getting up to speed as fast as I can and cruising usually. but during my commute the only thing I have to look forward to is breaking 100mph on the few stretches where it's possible. but I'm trying to cut down. for now I've removed the mighty IggBleed MBC in favor of gas milage over power. I was getting partial boost (in the form of less vacuum) even at cruising speeds, so my gas milage was crap. now I'm still quick when I want to be, and I get good gas milage if I stay off the fast-pedal.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I guess mine has some similar traits. The wheels/tire package can get a little harsh on the shitty ass roads in Houston, but for the most part I like it.

The car can almost be one of those dr. jekyl/mr. hyde type cars. I can drive it relaxingly down the freeway or in town, and be happy with the comfort and amenities. Or I can tear ass through traffic.

I got to thinking.....this weekend I'm goin to pull my chip out and see if I get rid of some serious hesistation issues. What got me thinking was......I really don't have that many engine mods. I've got the underdrive pulley on there, and the Dis-2 ignition w/ diamond coil pack...and a K&N drop in filter.....that'll be it. Granted I've got a bit more in the suspension/handling department....but for all out power.....I really don't have much extras right now.

I've taken the intake off in favor of the stock air box for the time being due to sucking gobs of hot air from the engine bay and other issues.

I still do like my stereo though :) I however think the wiring is probably due for an over haul. I probably should replace all the RCA's with some better pieces & change the speaker wire. The overall sound level/volume has gone down I think......plus it might just be me. I probably should re-tune everything too.....but that takes time and a place to do it....which I don't have right now..... :(
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

ciper wrote:After getting all my wheel bearings replaced
How much was that? Easy or hard? Mine are leaking, want to know if it's worth fixing...

I guess now that I'm not worried about how fast the car is or how well it can handle, I can just relax and appreciate BC-BFs' fine aesthetics... accept the car as it is, not tear my hair out trying to make it better...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

The overall sound level/volume has gone down I think......plus it might just be me.
You could also be going DEAF!! :lol:

I'm tempted to put my two 12" JLs back into this car, but I'm still a little hesitant with the underdrive pulley on it. Not to mention, that box weighs about 75lbs!!

Jason
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

subyluvr2212: When I did the bearings I also did other work.

Left front with cv axle
Left rear with brake calipers
Right rear on its own.

What did you mean by leaking? Are you sure you dont mean the cv axles? Ive replaced both my front of those as well.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I've currently got a JL 12" sub in the back of my BF. It sounds great although it does take up a considerable chunk of my cargo area. At some point in the future I may build a new, sealed, box to replace the ported box I built ~3 years ago. The other thing I may do is redo all of the speaker wiring. Before I was courageous enough to tackle all of my own stereo stuff, some idiot wired up an amp for me. Needless to say, it wasn't as good a job as I would have done and sometime in the future I'll redo it.

On another note, I just got two new front axles in the mail today. I'm going to be installing them this weekend and putting on my WRX rims/tires. Then it's off to get an alignment first thing monday morning. WOOHOOO!!!!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah I might be goin deaf.....I don't normally listen to my music blaring loud.....not a good idea....especially in my car ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm