redoing my exhaust, what options?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speedmaxx
Second Gear

redoing my exhaust, what options?

Post by speedmaxx »

so Im lookin to change up my exhaust again on my 93 legacy l. right now Im running a dynomax muffler and it sounds good, not to loud but a good rumble.

currently the mid pipe and axleback are starting to really rust out and I figure I want to change them both out. from what I found from searching the impreza exhaust fit but need to be extended. does this aply to all the impreza exhaust?

specifically this one
http://www.amazon.com/OBX-Type-H-Exhaus ... 128&sr=8-2

for the money this seems like a nice system, everyone seems to say the quality is great and sound is perfect. plus I wouldent mind a little more power :)

so will it fit? will I hurt performance at all going to a larger pipe diameiter? also what other options do I have?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Not sure about an RS exhaust fitting but all the WRX systems are nearly a direct fit aside from needing abourt10 inches of extension in the middle.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Isn't the wrx exhaust The same as the impreza exhaust from the mid pipe back? I thought they were, but I definatly may be wrong
93 legacy l
to much to list....
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I dont know.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

If you buy that exhaust, and it doesn't work, just take it to a muffler shop and the will cut/reweld/extend etc it so it works. I'm not so sure you will be getting much of a performance gain though
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

So I won't pick up any more power? So is it realy worth spending the extra money on a stainless set up as this one?

My local shop quoted me 150 for 2.25 galvenised piping from the headers all the way back to my dynomax muffler. Does this sound reasonable? Will I notice any increase in power going to the slightly bigger piping diamiter?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Considering where you live (smog) your best bet is to get a nice cheap (cat) and muffler off a subaru forum, www.Clubwrx.net , www.nasioc.com are just a few. Then go to your local shop and have them use some galvinised pipe ( unless your going for looks then get the stainless offline) Otherwise your going to save some cash, and who dosent want that. As far as power you might gain something, but that realy depends more on the rest of your system, DP, Headers, UP, ext. Are you running a vf11? if so youll notice it more down low. If you have something like a TD04 youll notice it more up top. :)
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

HandleWitCare wrote:Considering where you live (smog) your best bet is to get a nice cheap (cat) and muffler off a subaru forum, www.Clubwrx.net , www.nasioc.com are just a few. Then go to your local shop and have them use some galvinised pipe ( unless your going for looks then get the stainless offline) Otherwise your going to save some cash, and who dosent want that. As far as power you might gain something, but that realy depends more on the rest of your system, DP, Headers, UP, ext. Are you running a vf11? if so youll notice it more down low. If you have something like a TD04 youll notice it more up top. :)

Ok so your not truboed sorry. lol. Yeah just get the galvinised you wont gain much sorry guy. YOU WANT POWER YOU WANT BOOST>>>>>>>>>
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

god I wish I had an ss lol

eventually I would like to turbo my legacy but for now Im focusing on building up my suspention. auto x is coming up this summer and I want this thing to run like its on rails.

but anyways Im probablpy just gona get a 2.25 pipe welded up at my local shop and use my exsisting muffler. I mean with my exsisting muffler it already sounds good and it complements the intake nicely.

will I niotice any performance increase going to the bigger piping?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

I say if you got the cash just go ahead and get at least 2.5" but i would go 3" I mean if your going to do it at least do it right. lol but it all depends on money and taste. If you want a turbo i got a stock vf11 for sale, from my 91 SS.
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

Stock NA is 2" so 2.25" will be plenty for a N/A. Plus that saves you more $$$ for suspension so you can smash at AutoX :twisted:

3" on a NA car is over kill!
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

SubiePrice88 wrote:Stock NA is 2" so 2.25" will be plenty for a N/A. Plus that saves you more $$$ for suspension so you can smash at AutoX :twisted:

3" on a NA car is over kill!
Agreed. Don't forget that an NA car needs back pressure, so if you go too big you'll lose power, a turbo car has built in back pressure from the turbo so it doesn't really need any from the exhaust. 3" might not be too big, but I think 2.5 or probably even 2.25 is plenty big

And my friend with a 2000 2.5RS told me the exhausts are interchangeable between the RS and the Legacy, but I don't know 100%. He did say that you do have to extend an 02+ Impreza exhaust to fit the GC, just like you do for a Legacy, but don't quote me on that. You can look at www.rs25.com for some info on that

One thing I'd be careful about if you go that route though, is I noticed the catback pipe can come straight off the midpipe without hitting anything on an RS, but it cannot on a Legacy.

The OBX exhaust you posted looks like it bends down though right at the flange so it may work fine. But it says 98-05, which is weird for several reasons...So again check about the extension thing if you do that.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

On NASIOC, the guys there run 2.25" for maximum performance. They say 2.5" is too big for the NA engine and you'll lose bottom end if you go 2.5" or bigger. But I don't remember right now if that's for a 2.0L engine. (Maybe this post wasn't so helpful after all...) You might want to check it out on NASIOC.
'94 TW
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

thanks for the help

Ya I've been readin up all over the place and 2.25 seems like the right size to go with.

I'll be going to get the exhaust redone at the end of febuary or begining of march so when I do I'll post up some pics
93 legacy l
to much to list....
rhdlegacydrvnguy
In Neutral

Post by rhdlegacydrvnguy »

Sup everyone !! I own a '92 legacy L wagon, Rhd, I also want to work on my exhaust and don't know much about it
Names Big Will and I have a Rhd Legacy
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

This thread pretty much says it all for a NA motor.
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
Gray Ghost
In Neutral

Post by Gray Ghost »

So along these lines which axle back will fit a '93 L ? That is all I need to replace so will a wrx axle back work? 2.5rs? ? Thanks!