I want to love my BD Legacy but I can't

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I want to love my BD Legacy but I can't

Post by ciper »

I have a BD with a perfect running 2.2 in it and I just can't get myself to like the car after owning it all these years. It even has a spoiler!

The engine runs better than most 2.2, using absolutely zero oil between changes and has good power. Problem is the car just feels like a dog compared to a similar first generation. Even the BD GTs I have driven dont feel as good as my POS 91 with a 2.5 swapped in.

Is it just me?
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I prefer the outside look of the 2nd gens.
Sadly, no one swaps them, and the power is not quite SS levels.

I still like them.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

There are quite a few swapped BD's out there, but not nearly as many as the impreza's. I've never understood why, since the legacy is a bigger nicer car. That's why I got my BD over a GC.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I like all of them except the new generation.

The BL/BP was a little big and heavy, but at least it was a nice car and good-looking, as well as having some actual performance models like the GT and Spec-B.

I don't know which gen is my favorite though. Our generation was definitely the best-built, but they're rather small and cramped by today's standards. Looks, I think I'd have to give to the BE/BH.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I can't do it. If anyone wants to buy the car its a 95 (obd2 but only needs obd1 test) sedan with factory spoiler and I just replaced the transmission.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I don't like the seating position and the way the door cards are laid out. The ouside of the car looks nice though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah.....I like the exterior of the 95-99 MY's, but the interiors were ehhh.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I'm only looking forward to getting a 98-99 wagon because it will be replacing the Mazda, but I don't expect it to be a newer Duchess by any stretch.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah.....I like the exterior of the 95-99 MY's, but the interiors were ehhh.
Agreed! In my 94 SS I feel the interior is much nicer. Test drove a 98 GT it did look nicer I guess on the outside, but on the inside feels cheap, generic. Just didn't feel at home.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's not especially rich feeling, but I love the interiors of the 1st generation cars in a dark color. They're rugged, a little different looking, have excellent ergonomics, and the materials weren't much different than their contemporaries. Compared to today's cars, the seats are very comfortable (I drove 19 hours without ass, leg, or lower back fatigue while many comparable modern cars turn to granite after several hours or don't properly support my legs or back) and the cowl is actually low enough to not feel like an old lady trying desperately to see over the rim of the wheel. When I bought the Mazda 3, I knew from the 1st day I was buying a lesser, flimsier car and it feels every bit of its 100k miles already. I bought the Legacy with more than that and didn't blink to drive it cross country with 150k. I wouldn't take the Mazda cross country now. I'm just hoping a BG can be half as good as Duchess.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ I think ergo is the main thing with that body style. Granted, the mechanicals are essentially the same and should have little issue. However, the interior is the deal breaker for me. The vertical window switches are the deal breaker for me. Second is the low seating position.

My sister's '95 is solid and drives great for that old of a car, but it doesn't inspire confidence when I flog it. It is probably a safer car though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I don't love my BC, it's nice to be able to take it up skiing, but I miss my e30
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:^ I think ergo is the main thing with that body style. Granted, the mechanicals are essentially the same and should have little issue. However, the interior is the deal breaker for me. The vertical window switches are the deal breaker for me. Second is the low seating position.

My sister's '95 is solid and drives great for that old of a car, but it doesn't inspire confidence when I flog it. It is probably a safer car though.
The window switches are one of the big things I can't stand. My 97 Impreza has them. I really don't like them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

you shut your damn mouth

(although I agree on the window switches)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Someone's upset!!!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

yea the door cards and switches :smt076
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Yeah, those damn switches. Lady who I bought my car from goes "The lock button doesn't work, you have to manually press the lever to get them to work."
This lady was the original owner for 13 years and never even knew the LOCK button was for the windows, not the doors. Suppose on 95 they could have at least placed a picture or added WINDOW to the button. I believe they changed that in 97 though.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I think Subaru's thought process on the 2nd-gen window switches was that you would be resting your arm on the top of the door card, and could just reach down with your thumb to operate the windows.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

DerFahrer wrote:I think Subaru's thought process on the 2nd-gen window switches was that you would be resting your arm on the top of the door card, and could just reach down with your thumb to operate the windows.
I guess I just don't care much for their thought process then :P
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
Max Headroom
In Neutral

Post by Max Headroom »

I've had several BC/BF's over the years, including a BC7 4WD brand new in 1990. I gave my BF7 (with 220,000mi) to my son five years ago and replaced it with a low mileage 2.5l BG Outback. Although it was smoother and more refined, it felt very bland. I sold it twelve months ago and got the BF7 back off my son. Much better.

And I'd still be driving the BF7 if it weren't for some pillock who drove through a stop sign in front of me. Instantly three feet shorter, I replaced it with a JDM BF5 turbo which has proved to be a fun daily driver.

My wife bought a BH Outback H6 three years ago which has done 187,000mi and is now surplus, since my wife got a company car recently. I've been driving the BH for the last few days to see if I should keep it and sell the BF5. It has the drawcard of being more modern, quiet & smooth, and equipped with ABS, dual airbags etc, but it's just not involving enough to drive. There is a sense of feeling disconnected to the road. If my driving consisted entirely of city/suburban/motorway work, it would be fine. Instead we live in the country and drive on roads which can be demanding at times. I want something which has direct, responsive steering and actually communicates what it's doing.

I'll stay with the BF5 . . . .
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: I want to love my BD Legacy but I can't

I've driven sports cars with worse steering feel and worse balance than Duchess with a Grant steering wheel, $1 wood shift knob, and common wheel upgrade. The best thing is that it's entertaining at reasonable speeds (if not necessarily legal ones), unlike modern performance cars that might only come alive over 100, if at all.