Jesters '93 Legacy Wagon

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Jester808
First Gear

Jesters '93 Legacy Wagon

Post by Jester808 »

Okay, so I picked up this '93 Legacy LS Wagon about a month ago after browsing my way through Craigslist. Needless to say, she was in rough shape. Even with only 80k on the odometer, she was left sitting for almost a year due to the Air-Ride Suspension being fully deflated. The previous owner did not know what was wrong nor wanted to fix it, so up for sale it went. Here are a couple of pics from the For Sale ad:

So after taking her home I spent the next week or so completely tuning her up. Belts, Filters, Plugs, Oil, the whole nine yards. I also did my best to try and pop out that huge dent in the Drivers Side Fender. I gave her a quick bath, and I re-polished the Chromed Steelies back to their original shine and ended up with this beauty afterwards:

The Inspection was already needing to get done, so I slapped on a set of stock GC Suspension I had laying around and she passed with flying colors :). That was a week ago and I now have my Tein Type-HR Coilovers ready to mount up finally. Adjustable Ride Height, Adjustable Front Camber with Pillowball Mounts, Helper Spring equipped, Twin Tube Design, all the good stuff:

This picture is kind of crappy, taken under extremely sunny high noon conditions. The car looks 10 times better in person, the tires tuck in nicely, the Teins are nice and stiff. Very little body roll and if you can believe it, no rubbing. Well, a little in the Rear under heavy cornering, but nothing I can't fix, no rubbing over bumps though:

This is a comparison of what Suspension the Leggy has had these past several weeks. The Fail-bags it came with on the Left, the GC Suspension in the Middle, and of course the Teins on the Right:

Aw heck, I even threw on a GC Rear Strut Bar. Carbon/Aluminum. A little trimming and slotting and it fit perfect:

The Cover still fits and it still extends and retracts, the only thing I have to do is trim a slot into the Speaker covers so I can put those back on. I'll take care of that at work on Monday with a cut-off blade to try and make it look as clean as possible.
1993 Turbo Legacy Battle Wagon -Daily
1993 Legacy Wagon -STI Swapped *in progress*
1995 Impreza Swapped EJ20G -Sold
1997 Impreza Wagon, SCCA H-Stock Champion -Sold
1979 Brat 4x4 WRB w/ Full Rally Graphics -Sold
2002 Impreza Sport Wagon GT40R -Caught Fire
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Kickass! I love your wagon. I'd like some coilovers for my car too. Especially since it's looking like it's gonna have that infamous higher front end look that our legacys have after STI suspension swap. Not cool.

I'd like to see pictures after you cut slots for the speaker covers. Should look nice. That was a hell of a score on that wagon. Props.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

i'd love to have airbag suspension that actually worked. it would be sweet to go from slammed to lifted at the flick of a switch.

get some new wheels asap and that car will be awesome!!
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

very nice... i have a 93 wagon with bags. they still work. coilovers look sick though.
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

What's wrong with my Wheels? :lol:
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Jester808 wrote:What's wrong with my Wheels? :lol:
Nothing at all. What are they, btw?

Can you believe people pay thousands for aftermarket versions of that air suspension?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest pulling the air suspension computer and the compressor & air tank under the front driver's corner beneath the battery. That'll save some weight from the corners.

Those teins definitely give it a "slammed" look.

The turbo sticker is definitely "aftermarket". Looking forward to seeing the car next weekend.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

beatersubi wrote: Nothing at all. What are they, btw?
They are 'Modern' Wheels. I tried Googling it and came up with nothing.
beatersubi wrote: Can you believe people pay thousands for aftermarket versions of that air suspension?
Yeah, I think that's fookin' retarded. The Fail-bags made it handle like a boat, it made the Wagon feel heavier than it actually is. I hated it.
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

Legacy777 wrote:If you haven't done so, I'd suggest pulling the air suspension computer and the compressor & air tank under the front driver's corner beneath the battery. That'll save some weight from the corners.
I plan on taking care of that on Shop Day. All the stuff I listed to do on NASIOC I've already done, so I figure I'd do something for Shop Day :lol:. The Air Tank/Compressor/Dryer assembly is stupid huge, I'm sure it weighs a ton. Plus it's a PITA to get to, I hate removing the Fender liner. I've already had to get to it once when I was working on figuring out what was wrong with the Air Suspension when I first got the car.
Legacy777 wrote: Those teins definitely give it a "slammed" look.

The turbo sticker is definitely "aftermarket". Looking forward to seeing the car next weekend.
Yeah, they weren't that low on the GC they came from. The added weight of the Wagon made it much lower than before. I've already ordered some Spanner Wrenches from Tein as they didn't come with any so I can at least adjust the Height in the Rear.
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Those wheels are the FWD version of the age old "chrome mods".

http://adaptivestrategies.com/pacer320c.jpg

Basically cheap chrome steel wheels. No offense.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

None taken, they were on the car when I bought it and are getting replaced by Polished Work Meisters anyway.

Thanks for the info!