WRX Powered AWD Nissan Pickup Truck

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

WRX Powered AWD Nissan Pickup Truck

Post by kimokalihi »

Bored out of my gourd browsing NASIOC to pass the time when I stumbled across this neat project thread.

Check it out: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2053013

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Rustee
In Neutral

Re: WRX Powered AWD Nissan Pickup Truck

Post by Rustee »

Incredible.
-Tyler
1993 Legacy SS
1990 Volvo 240 eBay Turbo
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

just looked at the whole thread and its gonna be really awesome when its done
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I see some pretty major frame engineering issues in the future,especially being flux core welded :smt103.Other than that its a pretty cool project.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Cool project. I'd imagine that if the rumored EJ-Toyota tranny adapter actually happens your going to see some crazy swaps in the future.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

gijonas wrote:I see some pretty major frame engineering issues in the future,especially being flux core welded :smt103.Other than that its a pretty cool project.
internet armchair engineers :roll: what have you built and what do you know about flux core in structural steel?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

internet armchair engineers :roll: what have you built and what do you know about flux core in structural steel?
I know from being a professional fabricator :wink:

Not to mention the fact that i used to make custom suspension components for s30's (solo endeavor) that sold well enough to pay my bills for 2 years.I stopped by my own decision to pursue more/better options.Not reaching out with a brag, just not a knowitall blebbermouth here :mrgreen:

That Frame IS a problem IMHO.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

ok, sorry for the somewhat harsh reply but you understand about folks talking out of their ass when it comes to fabrication. also i dont think its fair to judge his welds by some relatively low res pictures and I'm pretty sure it would hold up. if he had just butt welded em it would be a different story.
that said there are many frames built in that way that see a lot more stress than that thing will. His plating method is a little funky, If that was my project I would have done a full pen weld to start with, flat grind the sides and do external fishplates instead of that internal one. more weld spread out over a wider area.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

external fishplates instead of that internal one. more weld spread out over a wider area.
Exactly,however IMO the omission of that is more than a minor overlook.

WRX2FFU
First Gear

Post by WRX2FFU »

I question his choice to flux weld it anyway. It looks like he has good resources. Just get a regulator and a tank of 75/25 and call it a day. Maybe his welder won't do gas but if thats the case I also question the penatraion of his welds. It looks damn good fro flux welds though.

Neat project though. Nice to see different stuff.
90 Wagon (UNDER THE K NIFE)
04' 20g'd WRX 350 AWHP! (RIP)
05' Sti (SOLD)
02' SRP Wrx wagon (Wifey's DD)
88' dl (SOLD)
94' Loyale (SOLD)
98' L wagon (SOLD )
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Flux-core can penetrate just as well as gas-shielded, if done properly, and is faster and cheaper.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Flux-core can penetrate just as well as gas-shielded, if done properly, and is faster and cheaper.
The process itself isnt the problem,yes there is good flux core equipment out there and it serves a purpose.Problem is at least 90% of the time when you see a home hobbyist pumping out flux welds it means he got a welder at lowes or from harbor freight.These welders can make some seriously porosity filled welds that are no better than soldering.Judging by the few pics available im am nearly positive this is the case,not slamming his work as overall its better than the majority of attempts i see at this kind of thing.