4eat N/A and Turbo

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slipknot51
First Gear

4eat N/A and Turbo

Post by slipknot51 »

So i have been reading some of the Post on this forum and i have been reading about how there is a difference between the 4eat in the n/a legacys and the turbo models and i was wondering what are the major differences were. i remember reading something about more clutch's in the clutch pack??? how meny more are there and does the turbo model run higher main line pressure. i was also wondering what can the stock 4eat turbo trans can handle as far as torque and hp that is if it was properly maintained. I know the first thing im going to do when i do my swap is get a aftermarket trans cooler. from what i hear its a good idea :). which makes me wonder if anyone has a post for a do it your self or diagram of what line to take of the stock cooler and run to the aftermarket cooler in line with the trans
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4eat N/A and Turbo

Post by Legacy777 »

The turbo Legacy has one or two more clutch plates. I believe that is the case on the AWD transfer clutch, and probably the forward clutches. Not sure about the line pressure and whether it's higher. The TCU is different I believe which will alter the shift points, etc.

As for power handling, I think it depends on what sort of condition the transmission is in when you get it. With a brand new trans, I would guess it can hold 300 hp.

You're on the right track with the trans cooler. I know there's a few threads regarding which lines to hook into, but I don't know if there's a diagram. Ideally, you would want to remove the line coming from the transmission, route that to the aftermarket cooler, then run the line from the aftermarket cooler to the stock cooler. That will help moderate trans fluid temps and keep the fluid from getting too cold in the winter time.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Sweet thanks for the info thats awesome that subaru decided with the legacys to put the additional clutch. I was also wondering if anyone knows if the wrx automatics (the very small about of them made) if they are using the same 4eat turbo trans or just your normal 4eat.
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

They're using a different transmission. It's the phase 2 4EAT and uses a different AWD setup than the Legacies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

In the turbo Legacy auto, there is an extra disk in the forward clutch, which is used in gears 1-4. The high clutch has an extra disk, which affects gears 3 and 4. The brake-band servo piston is larger, and the transfer clutch has an extra clutch.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Sweet thanks for the Info about the trans and thats awesome that subaru did that for the turboed Legacys.
08 Spec b Legacy