Reading this really breaks my heart.....lol

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Well, fellas I was going through some of the old postings, ya know, being new to this forum and what not. Just trying to catch up on some reading. So, i came across one that talked abt how many miles owners have got out of their subies and of course we can all be proud of our cars getting absurdly high miles from the original motor. But what really breaks my heart is not what we got with the engines, but just thinking abt the amount of gasoline that was used and purchased in the process of getting there. I meant, just by averaging 20 mpg in our legacys, it hurts my wallet just going to the gas station......lol Not good when gas is hovering around 4 bucks a gallon. :(
dafrompa
First Gear

Re: Reading this really breaks my heart.....lol

Post by dafrompa »

it will be ok man we'll all make threw this togther don't worry lol
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Hahahha, my wallet weeps everytime I have to fill up the gas tank on the subie. Wish gas cost 99 cents like they used to back in the early 90s.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

If you averaged 25mpg and racked up 175,000 miles you pumped 7,000 gallons of fuel and over the life of my car I'd say average fuel cost of $2/gallon that's $14,000!
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Now, that's not even the worse part. Currently, I spend abt 300 bucks a month for gas just for the legacy and over the course of one year, that's 3600 bucks! Considering that the car's only worth 1000 bucks at most, you can clearly see and understand why it's just not making any sense at all...........maybe it's time to sell and buy another car that gets over 30 mpg.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

30mpg hahaha! Buy a geo 45mpg can be achieved fairly easily. 30mpg sucks. Hell, an old honda civic gets 32-35 mpg depending on how you drive and $2,500 buys a decent 95 civic dx 1.5l.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

$300 a month on gas is ludicrous. I spent $120 tops driving the metro. Maybe only $100 some months.
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

That's right. I'm actually considering gettin an older civic or crx beater for my daily driver. Sell or trade in the legacy. I'm really sick of seeing my hard earned money going towards enriching those big oil companies bastards....lol So yeah, I'm definitely looking into getting a civic soon. Unless gas prices do a dramatic u-turn and drops to 2 bucks a gallon, but that's wishful thinking and will never happen, right?
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

I do really spend that much on gas every month. It's kinda ridiculous too, when I think abt it. But for the amount of driving that I do, that's how much I drop into the tank every month. When u consider that an average driver in the nation probably spend abt 200 on gas each month, I'm not doing too badly but stilll that's a lot of dough over the year.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

It's one of the costs of driving. When I first got my turbo Legacy I was driving enough to easily have a $500-$600 dollar per month gas bill, 3-4000 miles per month at an average of 25mpg.

The cost of getting a newer, more fuel efficient vehicle would have been more than just sucking it up and paying for that drive. Plus, I would really hate driving a dumb FWD econobox like a Geo or a Honda, and I loved doing that drive in my nice, comfy and powerful Turbo Legacy. It was definitely worth the extra 50-100 per month in gas over suffering in a Honda or a Geo. Plus I was driving over Snoqualmie Pass a lot, so the AWD was nice in the snowy weather.

How much you spend on gas is completely irrelevant to the cost of the car, so comparing the value of the car to the price of gas is foolish. I have spent many times over the value of my car on gas since I bought it. It's like maintenance costs and tires and stuff like that. It is part of the cost of driving.
Last edited by Alphius on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

I'm about 800 a month in gas, not including the wifes forester.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The metro costs roughly half as much to drive 43mpg vs 23mpg plus the extra cost of premium and its cheaper to insure. Pretty soon I'm buying a rebuilt trans and once that's in the metro I'm taking the subaru off and parking it to save over $100 a month in insurance.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

kimokalihi wrote:I'm taking the subaru off and parking it to save over $100 a month in insurance.
Because racecar... :P
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I own a delivery service and spend around 600 a month in my 91. I keep looking around for these more fuel friendly vehicles (that all the car manufacture claim they have) that has awd and put 15/20 pieces of luggage in and still get better than 25mpg and low maintenance and reliable. So far I haven't found a replacement that has proven worthy.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

Since you own a delivery service that's perfectly fine if you're spending that much on gas. That's part of ur job and thats how u make ur income, that's totally acceptable. But i'm spending mine just on commute alone and that really sucks lol I just wish that I can get 25 mpg......hahaha. Someone paying 800 a month on gas...that's a freakin house mortgage lol i'm not sure if that makes any sense at all. Now I don't feel so bad spending 300. Btw, how is driving a FWD Honda makes u "suffer"? I happened to own many Hondas in the past and they're excellent cars with good gas mileage. Just bcos we drive subies don't mean we should go ahead and bash other makes for no reasons........
fireman2101
First Gear

Post by fireman2101 »

I might agree that driving a Honda is a form of torture. Lol. I am 6'2" and I like driving metros around. You get a nice 2 door 3 cylinder 5 speed and you can beat the snot out of it and still get 45 mpg. Don't get me wrong I like my Subarus much more but every car has its place. I had a '69 Cadillac Deville and that thing was like a cloud compared to both my Subarus. Only got 8 mpg and had close to 450 hp.
Semper Fi

1991 Legacy Turbo
2006 OBS- retired
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

if your worried about gas mileage, get an early 80s diesel rabbit. (50+ mpg + cheap insurance)
i had an 05 Passat TDI that got around 7-800 miles a tank. (kicking myself today for getting rid of it)
im looking at the old rabbit or jetta thou to commute. 800 bucks in gas a month is a waste. id rather put that money toward more mods for the subies... LOL
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I don't like the driving dynamics of a FWD car, especially in stripped down econobox form. Therefore, I don't like driving one. Maybe "suffer" was too strong of a word, although I think it was accurate. ;) Driving a car I love is more important to me than saving a few bucks on gas. For others, it isn't. You have to do your own cost/benefit comparison.

And my insurance is only about $35/month for my Subaru, and that's for pretty high limits as well, not state minimum.

Premium fuel is a cost increase of less than a cent per mile, so I don't even care to factor that in.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

the post wasnt directed toward you, it was for the OP so he has options to keep his toy yet have a commuter with good gas mileage.

and yes, i agree 100%.
Alphius wrote:Driving a car I love is more important to me than saving a few bucks on gas.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To go along with Alphius's & sqc151's comments.....considering how much time you spend in your car commuting....wouldn't you want it to be in something you enjoy driving vs. something you hate driving and/or are uncomfortable in?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

To be honest, for my daily commute, either my legacy wagon, or a honda civic or even a diesel passat/jetta would be sufficient and gets the job done. But my point that i try to get across is my rant about the poor gas mileage coming from the subie. Wish it's a bit more than 20 mpg. I'll settle for 30 mpg all day long.....lol
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

Your not gonna get 30+ mpg with awd. The 4cyl is moving a bunch more parts. It also depends on the region u live. If ur in a populated area ur not gonna get the same mileage as if u were in the middle of no where. Suck it up it or get a car that will get u 30+mpg for ur commute and leave the legacy for the weekend fun drives.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What really kills the AWD car's fuel economy is the gearing. The lower gearing is used so it's not a completely gutless wonder. But it hurts the fuel economy.

I can pretty much guarantee you that is why Subaru has gone with the CVT transmissions on all the newer cars. They can achieve good mpg, while still providing good gearing when accelerating, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

When I had my SS I drove my silverado all summer because to me buying gas (300miles a week worth at 10.5mpgs)for the truck was EASILY worth having icey cold AC and super comfortable seats compared to the hot bumpy, creaky SS. So really it's all relative to your level of priorities. I decided after DDing the truck for a year straight that I was happy with anything over 15mpg
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
topsecret888
In Neutral

Post by topsecret888 »

I'm just fed up having to spend money filling up the gas tanks all the time......it's not even funny. Seriously, I would gladly take any car that gets over 30 plus mpg anytime......and let me add that even the new 2013 impreza only manage around 25 mpg and can u even call this progress? I think not! I'm not a big fan of CVT but seems like a number of new cars are going that route including the Altima and Accord. Perhaps those engineers know something we don't? I'll reserved judgement until I can test drive one myself.....