Questions post rob tune install.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

carterg31
In Neutral

Questions post rob tune install.

Post by carterg31 »

Hello all,
I'm a long time reader first time posting. I just finished installing my rob tune ecu. i have a few questions. Upon first installing the ecu i did not de pin the ecu as discussed in this thread http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p330762. When i drove the car it idled fine but would not boost over 9psi. I have since de pinned and completed all that was said to do on the previously noted thread. the car is still on blocks but as of now i can not build boost at all. also i still have the stock exhaust on it at the moment. If any body has any input it would be appreciated. also if i have not been in depth enough about my situation let me know thanks.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Questions post rob tune install.

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
And Welcome to the BBS (even if you've been a lurker).

On 'blocks'? I'm not clear on this. But if all 4 wheels are off the ground are you using the brakes to create 'load' to try boost?

I'd double-check your wiring (no offense).

Please verify the following steps:
- Ignition adapter (RU using Rob's 4 to 2 Ignition converter?)
- MAF
- Injectors - 450cc or 525cc tune?

- Turbo
- Intercooler
- Wiring

- Boost gauge (needed to see boost level and for MBC adjustment)
- MBC / Manual boost controller, EBCS or stock BCS?

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
carterg31
In Neutral

Post by carterg31 »

Okay so i double checked my wiring. I am not showing any CELs so that's good.

I'm running the 550 tune i have a jdm td05 and an 07 wrx intercooler . I'm running robs 4 to 2 converter. i have the stock boost control solenoid removed due to rob saying i could with the newest version of his tune. i have driven the car on the road now with the MBC boost control turned all of the way down and it will boost to 5psi. I then turned the MBC up 20 clicks but it still only boosts to 9 psi. Could having the restrictive stock exhaust on be preventing me from boosting correctly. I do have the 550 yellow injectors but i am still using the stock fuel pump. Could these things be an issue? thanks again for the help
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Unless you have a clogged CatCon the exhaust won't limit you to 9psi. The stock down pipe and exhaust is similar to the WRX and STi exhausts and they were tuned to 13.5 and 14.5 PSI respectively (in '04) per Cars101.com.

The stock fuel pump should be upgraded as it's about 20 years old, but I still think you should be able to hit more than 9 PSI. (BTW, the stock EJ22T pump flows more than the '02-'06 WRX pumps from what I've read.)

Did you run your car w/more boost w/the MBC B4 the Rob tune? If so, how much?

Did you run the TD05/TMIC w/the stock ECU? IF so, How'd it run and what boost?

If not, then you may have a vacuum leak, loose hose or clamp or other air intake issue. Search on here for more posts on leaks....I may even have 1 or 2. :roll:

Did you ask Rob about this? He's good @ diagnosing issues.

I also just asked Rob about de-pinning as recommended and he told me:
It could be ok to leave them, but I am not 100%. Best if you can depin them.

Others should have ideas....

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Do you by chance have a silicon coupler ahead of the turbo? I have experienced and have seen other cases where upon a large flow of air these can collapse and effectively shut off the flow of air into the engine.

Without the stock BCS, the ECU has no way to restrict boost so it means there is a mechanical issue of some kind.

-Rob
carterg31
In Neutral

Post by carterg31 »

Thanks for the help I will check for mechanical problems and leaks then get back to you.