EJ207? PFR7G!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

EJ207? PFR7G!

Post by entirelyturbo »

Because I like you guys, and because, frankly, NASIOC can sit on it, I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret (and not NASIOC).

If you happen to have an EJ207 engine out of a JDM STi, and you've attempted to replace the spark plugs, you've noticed that the original plug is an NGK PFR7G platinum plug.

Well, if you've tried to get that exact same spark plug, you've undoubtedly come up short. If you go to your nearest friendly Subaru dealer with the OEM part number, 22401AA600, they... well... they're supposed to remain friendly and not tell you to sit on it, but they won't be able to order that part number for you.

Don't bother calling Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, Carquest, O'Reilly, or any of those places either. They'll be able to take that number and supercede it to an NGK BKR7EIX or a Denso IK22, which are both iridium plugs, but if you're picky to a fault (like me) and you don't want to use iridium plugs and would rather stick with the plug that came in the engine, this simply won't do.

Either that, or they will screw up and try to sell you the factory Honda S2000 spark plugs, which are PFR7G-11 and gapped too wide for a forced-induction engine.

You can even take NGK's stock number for these plugs, which is 4364, and search for it on NGK USA's PDF catalogue and you'll still come up short.

But wait... there's hope!

If you instead go to your nearest friendly Lotus dealer, and either ask for a set of spark plugs for an Exige (or simply give them the part number A128E6006F), you'll walk out with these!

Since the Exige uses the Toyota 2ZZ engine, and it's also supercharged, it needs the 0.8mm-gapped PFR7G...

... and to the extent that I've researched, it's the only car to ever be sold in America that uses that plug from the factory.

Oh, and I'm also going to replace the PFR6Gs (which is what the EJ205 WRX uses) currently in the B4 with these, hoping the colder heat range will help alleviate the pinging I'm unfortunately still hearing occasionally under boost.

The catch? Yeah, there's a catch...

... Lotus knows that they're the only people in America who can get that plug, and if you don't want to pay them the $35.27 they want per plug, they too are going to tell you to sit on it :shock:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: EJ207? PFR7G!

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Why can't you just re-gap the -11? I've heard/read not to re-gap iridiums but the platinums? Is this due to your 'picky to a fault' claim?

I didn't find the PFR7G / 4364 on US Ebay or Amazon, but were avl. on Ebay UK for $65 (not £) plus $10 shipping for future reference. (Also from Germany, per the ebay results.)

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I'll be dogone'd
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

That's some good info.

How'd you come across their use in the Lotus?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

EJ207? PFR7G!

Post by entirelyturbo »

wtdash wrote:Hi,
Why can't you just re-gap the -11? I've heard/read not to re-gap iridiums but the platinums? Is this due to your 'picky to a fault' claim?
Pretty much. I'm sure NGK is better at accurately gapping spark plugs than I am.
James614 wrote:How'd you come across their use in the Lotus?
Basically a shit-ton of Googling.

Apparently not enough, as I never saw anything about them being for sale on eBay UK or anything, but I imagine that those are probably listed as intended for the Exige as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good info Michael!

Thanks for sharing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

My ver 6 ej207 has pfr6g's in it. Straight off the boat, and from the looks of things, they're the originals. ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I did spark plugs and valve cover gaskets on a Ver 7 bugeye STi a couple weeks ago, and it had PFR7Gs in it, and from the looks of things, they were the originals ;)

*Formerly DerFahrer*