GC Impreza muffler on BC Legacy??

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

GC Impreza muffler on BC Legacy??

Post by Legacy777 »

Anyone have any input on this? From what I can tell they look pretty similar. Anyone do this already?

I'm particularly talking about the twin tip muffler back from MRT.

The 031B muffler in this thread
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... did=320231

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Hmmm, I'm not really sure if it'll fit or not. I do have a wrx axle back that I was going to use to get my car inspected, but I didn't need it, so it's just sitting in my basement if you want, although don't know how much shipping would be out to you. I think the internal size is 2 1/4".
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is it twin tip?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Yup.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hmmm.....assuming the MRT one fits.....I'll probably go with it to get a little better sound & performance over stock.

Is there any way to see if it would bolt up to your car?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I would tell you yes, but I have a custom turboback, without the original flanges on the midpipe.

If someone around here wants to test fit it on their car, lemme know. I know there's another member on this board that lives in B-more with a 1990 legacy . . . rally-something . . . sorry, I forgot your screen name :oops:

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

I tried this the other day and i can tell u that the pipe work is perfect around the rear axle but the lenght of the box itself is about 3" too short to reach the rear hangers.

U would have to cut the pipe where it goes into the box and weld a 3" piece into there for the 2 hangers on the box to reach the hangers on the car (s**t i am confusing myself now) but hopefully u will get the jist of it, I have photos of what i mean if anyone is looking for them
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmmm....so you mean the hangers are off? Or the piping/muffler section is too short?

I will probably try and put the muffler on this weekend. If the hangers are the only thing that need to be moved that should be pretty easy. But if the length of the axle back & muffler are too short then ya....I'll have to do what you did.

Can you email the pictures of what you're talking about?

Thanks man
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

E-mail sent
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

update......

Well.....it is not a direct bolt on, but it's not that bad to modify. You will need to take it to a muffler shop to be modified.

The first issue is that it is not long enough. The pipe that goes to the muffler is not long enough. It needs to be about 3-5" longer....something like that.....

The second issue is the hanger on the left side, (looking at the rear of the car) is too far forward. It needs to be relocated back further.

On mine, the guy heated up the bracket and bent it some......the tips are not directly under the cut-out on the bumper. I may take it back and ask the guy if he can cut off the hanger and weld on a new one.

It does seem to hang lower then the stock one....which may or may not be just an issue or how it's supposed to be with the MRT muffler.

I've gotta go back anyway.....there's a small spot on the extender he welded that he missed, so there's a small leak.

Anyway....here's some pics.

Last edited by Legacy777 on Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

Looks well Josh pitty my 1 wasn't like yours, i could have done it myself in stead of payin a tidy sum to get a 3" piece of s/s welded in to my muffler.

BTW how do u attach photo's to a reply :?: :?: :?:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

To attach pics you need to have them hosted on a web server and then use the BBCode.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

This is way over my head :D :D :D
92' Legacy RS Turbo
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

do you have pics other then what you sent me that you want to post?

I can host them for you.....and give you the url, in which you can post them.

You'd do it like this

[img]http://www.mypicaddress.com/mypic.jpg[/img]

That's what you would type....except substituting in the real web address
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

Cheers lad i'll get a few photo's together and get them out 2 ya
92' Legacy RS Turbo
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Josh,

Looking at your exhaust it seems like the piping sits pretty low under the car. I had similar issues with my custom exhaust on my GT. You could literally see the piping running underneath the car when you stood 15 feet away from it. I dunno how he did it, but the custom piping that Adam put on this car doesn't have those same issues.

If you're going to go back to get the exhaust hooks redone, I would see if there is any way to route the piping a little differently to move it closer to the body of the car. Just a thought. Otherwise I would say the fitment is pretty good.

So what are your impressions from the exhaust? Noticeable gains?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The piping is meant for an AWD car.....and even the stock ones sit pretty low.

I don't really like this......and since mine is FWD, I don't need that bend there.......but I don't really want to have to have him re-weld/fab up an entire new pipe section there. I'll run it by him.....I'm sure it'll be more money........I don't know....

In retrospective I should've just gotten a generic muffler and had it custom done. Fitment on this MRT one is marginally/ok

As far as gains....yeah I noticed a little better low-end response, as well as high end too.....need to drive it more.

Sound is decent too.....not really loud.....you notice it's there mainly when you're not on the gas a lot. At higher rpms my intake noise is much louder then the exhaust.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I took it back to exhaust shop yesterday.......they didn't really fix the exhaust leak.......there's still a little one there........I'm just going to fix it myself with some jb weld or equivelant.

Again....there is a reason I don't take my car to other people....because they don't do a decent job.

He did however fix my exhaust shield rattle......Just wanted him to cut them off....he did some fancy welding trick.....don't know if it'll mess up things......I don't really care at this point.

I needed a new muffler....this was 'relatively' cheap......He said he couldn't fix the hanger issue.....again....I think it was a matter of not wanting to.

I may look at it myself......I really need to learn how to weld......and have a place to put said welder.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You could get a cheap MAPP torch for around $60... You'd at least be able to braze with it. You can't really use an arc welder if you live in an apartment because they usually take 240 volts, unless you get a really expensive one.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are the MAPP torches just the oxygen & acceteline bottles?

I don't think I'll be dragging them up 3 flights of stairs...hehe.

I just have to be patient until I can get a garage.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No, no, not oxy-acetylene. That's a much bigger deal. You can't even own acetylene canisters, and they're really dangerous unless you're super super careful. MAPP is similar; it's a stabilized form of acetylene that doesn't burn as efficiently or as hot and does require a leaner mixture (so you need more oxygen). You could buy a $60 MAPP torch with two little canisters and easily carry it out the door.

If you were willing to just solder rather than braze or weld, you could even use a propane torch, which is super simple and very safe and cheap. I think you could even braze with propane but it would be more of a pain than it's worth.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmmmm.....I may have to check into the MAPP thing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

steeo
In Neutral

Post by steeo »

Would solder not melt if used on a muffler as it has a low melting point ???
92' Legacy RS Turbo
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't know. The muffler isn't nearly as hot as the other parts closer to the engine. Some solders don't melt until 600-700 degrees Farenheit; maybe there are some that melt at higher temperatures.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, and Josh -- You probably don't need to be reminded about it, but it can't hurt -- be very very careful using flames around your fuel tank. Don't want to lose your life over a muffler hanger.