The Wrath of Zeus

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brat4by4
Stratified

The Wrath of Zeus

Post by Brat4by4 »

Here is an interesting problem. My car has recently decided to start witholding a large capacity of voltage. In other words, when I get out... it shocks the &$*%() out of me. When it is dark outside, I can SEE it ARC! In fact, I didn't really think about it until it started arcing to my elbow through clothing when I was at least 6" away from the car.

It actually shocked me through my winter coat when I was getting out of the car. Since my little keyless entry holder broke, I use the key. I often see it arc (again) to the key. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the heck causes this to happen, plus I'm sure it can't be that good for the powerlocks and keyless entry when it arcs through the lock. It happens after I've driven for a little bit, even as little as 2 miles.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

What brand/type of tires do you use?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The POS buick I drove in memphis did this to me all the time.

Your tires are building up a static charge. It seems to be the most prevalant with harder compound tires.

You can do what some big rigs do as well as fuel trucks. They have a rubber strip that drags along the road....which is mounted to the chassis......this will help discharge any built up static electricity.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

They are the stock tires off the WRX. Potenza SE-90 or something like that. I wouldn't quite consider them pieces of crap. And this is something that started recently, maybe it's the humidity. I don't know, but weird nonetheless. It actually discharged today when I touched the metal on the inside door handle. I thought about the rubber strips, but I don't know how easy that would be to pull off.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I live in an area that has the highest population of asians in the US. That said I see SO MANY cars with grounding straps. Not sure where you could purchase them near you but they mount near the rear bumper. They are rubber on the outside with two metal braided strips inside. Wind causes them to come away from the road, when you slow they come down and touch.

BTW the tires are re-92 and realize they are LARGER THAN STOCK, meaning your car is now slow.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The rubber would probably be high in carbon, like the little pads under buttons on your TV remote.

You could replace your mud flaps with them, maybe, as long as they don't get under the wheels when you move backwards or when it's windy...
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

It's got more to do with shoes than tires. when you move around in your seat, you build up a static charge. normally this discharges slowly though your ass and shoes. It does have to do with tires as well, since the car will bleed off static charges thorugh them. but if you have recently started wearing different shoes, that can be causing it. try driving barefoot or in just socks for one day and see if it still happens. also, try not putting on your coat till you get outa the car. rustling around in your jacket can build up an excess charge.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Even here in relatively warm FL a 50-degree snap sends my hair straight on end after getting out of any car that has traveled at 50mph or more...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok