Keats 91 Legacy SS Build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

keatsdude
In Neutral

Keats 91 Legacy SS Build

Post by keatsdude »

Hi Fella's,

I thought it was finally time to document the build on my 91 SS. I'll start from the beginning of it all, when I had/built an 04 WRX on E85 pushing 300whp. I had taken a year off of school, worked at a towing company/shop, and loved the WRX. Then I went back to school and realized I didn't need a $10,000 car anymore. So I sold it (traded actually, long story...) Anyway, I needed a lower priced car, but had to stick with a Subaru - of course! I had my eyes on an RS, but then I found a prime 1991 SS in California. This was all happening in the fall of 2011.

Growing up in Wisconsin, California cars always seemed amazing. No Rust, nothing's better. I figured this was the one; in my price range, stock, beautifully clean, turbo'd, 140k miles. What's not to like, right? So I got 2 friends together, booked 3 one way tickets to LA, and set off to drive her 2,000 miles home, in 3 days. We took off on a Friday, and had to get back to class on Monday.

So there it is. On 11/4/11 I purchased my 1991 Legacy SS for $3,350.

Here I am counting the money on the hood:

It's mine:

And we set off, for an awesome road trip home. We pulled into my driveway on Sunday afternoon, just as planned. A few slight issues on the way, shifter actually falling off, snowstorm in Denver and the blower motor decided it had enough, cords on tires, you know - the good stuff. All in all, probably the best roadtrip I've ever had. We certainly had high spirits, coming from Cali with a clean 91 Legacy.

I kept the car stock until the spring of 2012. Thanks to legacycentral, I swapped on a Td04, 06 WRX TMIC, and MBC. I ran the car at the full 12lbs of boost, and had some fun with it. I finished up school in 2012, and ended up working right out of school. I travel quite a bit for work, currently in South Carolina but working with a Wisconsin based company.

I ended up working out of our Wisconsin office for about 6 weeks, and with all the miles I put on I decided I needed to upgrade my driveline, or purchase a new car. I didn't want my Legacy to sit, and it ran great with no problems. Issues like brakes, balljoints, struts, bushings, etc were lingering each trip, as it had 170k miles at this point.

And so it began, I ordered up a full 2006 STi swap. Everything minus the motor was included, I even got the VF39 and injectors!

The day my parts showed up (Most of them anyway...)

And here's my 91 prior to the swap. I had snows on the original snowflakes, and some summer tires on the wrx wheels a buddy gave me a while back. Here's how she looked most days, with no snow of course. The before pic:

Here's how she sits now, back down south as I was walking out of work the other day. I've put almost 4,000 miles on since the driveline swap, and it's been excellent to me (that's an understatement..). I haven't touched the motor yet, so it's still sitting with the Td04 Installed.

I do have the VF39, Injectors, Green Label MAF, and coil pack. I just need the fuel rails, and a robtune ECU. It's all in the works...along with another big change. Stay tuned, it's coming!

I need to get back to work now, but I'll be back soon with the swap details and a few pics. Just wanted to get this thread going finally, I've been meaning to do a write up for a while.

The way she looks on the walk out of work:

Hope ya guys enjoyed the read, I'll be back sometime soon to update on the swap details.

Take care,

Keats
keatsdude
In Neutral

Re: Keats 91 Legacy SS Build

Post by keatsdude »

As far as the 6mt swap is concerned, it went extremely smooth. A few little issues that had to be dealt with included grinding the front aluminum lower control arm bushings down (just a few mm's on each side) to fit in the existing mounts, using my OEM Legacy tophats on the STi struts since the OEM STi tophats missed the holes by about half the bolt, finding a driveshaft that was the correct length and flanges, drilling out the starter hole and tapping the trans to accept a threaded bolt, and fitting of the STi swaybars.

The solutions to the problems were pretty simple. For the driveshaft I used the STi front half, mated with a 98 auto legacy rear half. We had to redrill the flange on one half, since the bolt holes didn't quite match. No big deal since the flanges were concentric, and had the correct diameter circle inside the flange. We ended up taking the flange off my old Legacy diff, and mounting in on the r180. Perfect fit. (Thanks Legacy777!)

The swaybars were probably the worst part. We fitted the STi front bar, using the STi mounts. The frame mounts on the 91 were to small to accept the STi bar mount, so we added an additional "ear" of metal to the mount, added a gusset to the frame and drilled a new hole for the STi mount. Basically just extended the old one. In the rear, I took mounts from a forester, and welded the STi mounts below that. It's pretty rough, but I plan to rally the 91 so I will likely just take the rear swaybar off.

Other than those few issues, everything pretty well bolted right up. Had to get a little custom on the clutch slave cylinder hoses, but ended up cutting the line just after the master and mated it up to a stainless hose all the way to the slave. Turned out pretty well I think.

On to the pictures.

This was about 4 hours in. Unbolted the control arms, unbolted the tophat and the whole assemblies fell out. California car, no rust = awesome!

Pile of old parts:

End of day 1, she's nekkid!

Empty Rear:

That's pretty much the only pictures I've got of the swap. I'll have to dig through my phone, I think I snapped one of the custom 3" downpipe my buddy built for me, along with a shot of the front swaybar mount. While I was at it, I installed a LC1 wideband with guage, and a Walbro 255 fuel pump. She's ready for more power, almost...

I'll leave you with the first picture with the new shoes on:

I know the headlights are ugly...I've got a set of EDM lights, but they ended up damaged in shipping :( Luckily they were insured, so I got all the cash back. And I got to keep the lights. They're almost done getting rigged up, I'll snap some pics once they're ready to be installed!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice ss! Love those bbs.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
keatsdude
In Neutral

Post by keatsdude »

On to the long awaited power mods! I'm about ready to contact Rob for an ECU, but I want to do a little maintenance work first.

About 3 months after I bought the 91 it started to run a little hot. It had almost 150k, so I figured it was time for a new water pump. My buddy had one in his garage with supposedly 100k miles, so I bolted that one up. About 2 weeks after that he called me and said it actually had 220k, it was from one of his old bugeyes. Great news...About 2 weeks after that, she started to run hot again. I ponied up the approx. $100 for a new OEM pump, and strapped it on. I was still in school and obviously poor, so I just did the pump and thermostat. The belt looked a little worn, but enough life left, and the idlers sounded pretty good and spun smooth (as smooth as they can with 150k....)

Long story short, before I slap on the VF39 and let it breath a little, I'd like to replace the Oil pump, timing belt and tensioner (and tensioner wheel!), and all the idler gears. I'll look at the cam seals, but if they're dry I'll look away. I hate cam seals.

I've started to look for OEM Part numbers for this stuff, but haven't had much luck. I've got the timing belt and oil pump/gasket numbers, but can't seem to find the old style tensioner and pulley #'s, or the idlers #'s. Anyone have this info? I've seen reference to a part number thread here on legacycentral in my searches, but can't seem to find that thread??

Josh, are you out there?? Any leads are much appreciated!

Take care,

Keats
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Search for part numbers. I made a thread with common legacy part numbers. If you can't find it there download the parts catalog which can be found if you search for it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

Looking real good so far, thanks for sharing!
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, looking good!

As Kimo mentioned there are several threads with part #'s and you can d/l the parts catalog from me. Check out the stuff you need to know forum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
keatsdude
In Neutral

Post by keatsdude »

Thanks, Josh! That parts catalog is awesome!

I just ordered my timing belt parts, along with an oil pump and all the required seals. Assuming all goes well with the timing belt/oil pump change, I'm hoping to get my VF39 on in a few weeks!