she's in the OR (update 12/19)

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

she's in the OR (update 12/19)

Post by 93forestpearl »

The teardown and build finally started today.

Start time: 4:30 pm
End time: 10:30 pm

Damage report:

Several 10mm fender bolts broken
Couple 12mm bolts broken
One dethreaded control arm bolt
One broken 19mm socket
One massive gear oil spill, der da durhhh
One gashed finger knuckle

Progress:

I put that clutch in over a 100k ago.8) I had a couple other monkeys there lending a hand. Everything went fairly smoothly, considering 13 years of Minnesota weather, and my rough treatment from 76k to 190k. I'm thinking I won't be so lucky on the rear suspension and diff/support since I've only had the struts out before. PB Blaster is my friend.

After everything is torn down, I'll take the 5MT apart to rob it of its stub axels for the 6 speed, strip the EJ22E of everthing but the shortblock minus oil pan, and the list goes on for about 12.4 miles. I'm shooting for less than eight weeks on this build. It includes:

installing new motor I built (http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... highlight=)

rotated mount
rebuilt (custom) lower rad suppt
relocated rad
FMIC & plumbing (behind headlights)
modified wrx exhaust
rewire for standalone (G2)
plenty of other wiring for Zeitronix, gauges, etc
complete rear driveline teardown for bushings
adding rear swaybar/boxing in mounts
reworking pretty much the whole fuel/vaccuum/pcv/everything system :shock:

This has been in the works for soo long its almost surreal.
Last edited by 93forestpearl on Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Sweet. I've been looking forward to this for a long time!
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

HELLS YEAH!!!!!
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

that clutch disc looks good still.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

That's one helluva project! Hope everything goes well. And not too many more mashed knuckles.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Cool!
What kind of clutch is that?
What year is that 6MT?
90 L+ wgn
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Sweet.

Say, what kind of welder ya got there?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

AWD_addict wrote:Cool!
What kind of clutch is that?
What year is that 6MT?
The clutch in the picture is my Exedy OEM replacement that I put in when I brought the tranny in for a rebuild at about 90k. Apparently I'm really nice to my clutch. :smt017

The 6MT is outta an '05. Its got 8k miles on it. I'll be using the OEM clutch that came with it off the bat. Next year I'll update the heads, throw in a better clutch, and possibly get a bigger snail since I'll have to get topfeed injectors anyways.

rallitektech wrote:Say, what kind of welder ya got there?
You saw Pete's little Miller, haha. It runs off 220v, but I'm not shure of the exact model. It should work alright for the bit of welding I have to do. Little welders can be a pain sometimes though.

Anyone have experience welding stainless? I've read that C25 work OK, just that the puddle doesn't move as well, and that there is more spatter. If its really lame for trying to weld stainless, I guess I'll have to get something else, like 90%He 7.5%Ar 2.5%CO2. I really don't care how pretty the welds are, just that they work and hold up.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've been making some progress, just haven't had time to go up to campus and upload pics. I did today though. I took the 5mt apart for the stubs, but thats looking like time wasted. I got the hydralic pedal assembly in tonight, with the master mounted. Installed the new bushings in the steering rack and mounted the turbo cross member. Think my old rack was a little rough, hehe? I had to get one of the tie rod ends off as the boot had a tear in it (ghey).

Even more fun was getting the rear suspension apart. One of the big lateral link bolts actually came out. A bushing pin was frozen to it, but a little heat along with a pipe wrench took care of that. On the driver's side I wasn't so lucky. Yeah, I broke a $27 bolt :shock:

Tomorrow I'm headed to school to use the press and get the new bushings in. Should be *fun*. Once thats all done, I can put the rear all back together with the TLeg diff. I always feel good when at least part of the car can touch ground. :wink:
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have fun with the bushings.....I had to pretty much destroy the old bushings to get them out.

At least you're putting poly bushings back in. They should be easier then those damn STi bushings.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I haven't had a chance to post in a while, but I've made some progress. The motor is pretty much ready to drop in. I just need to get the rest of the suspension and driveline back together. I found out that the SuperPro bushings for the diff support bracket are NOT for a Legacy, after I cut/burned out the old ones. So I've been wrestling with a car at the JY to get another one, so I can get the the whole rear of the car back together.

Then there was the stub axle saga. I thought I could use my 5mt stubs in thte 6 speed. Not the case. 5mt stubs are the same from '90 to '04. 6 speed stubs are different as the groove on the inside of the stub is bigger for the circlip to fall in to. So I needed to order them, and come on a slow boat from Japan, or at least it seems :roll:

Anyways, I'll get that diff bracket tomorrow and put the back end together. My stubs and seals are supposed to be here thursday, and that night I'll get the motor and tranny dropped in, hopefully. Then the fun stuff starts. Lots of cutting and welding.

Oh, and a neat little thing is that the oil drain tube can be installed straight up like stock, or rotated 90 degrees to the right.

→Dan

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Nice wrap. What kind is it?
90 L+ wgn
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

From Ebay for $18 :-D
→Dan

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Whats wrong with the diff support bushings?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I'm confused. Are you building up the EJ22E for F/I or are you dropping something else in there?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Built EJ22T IIRC.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

BAC5.2 wrote:Whats wrong with the diff support bushings?

They were just too small for the Legacy bracket. I crawled under my buddies GD and the bracket definately has smaller bushings. Its all good. He bought those from me so I don't have them just laying around.

legacy92ej22t wrote:I'm confused. Are you building up the EJ22E for F/I or are you dropping something else in there?
Its an EJ22T. The pics of the motor build are here.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~pidd0002/Car%20Stuff/Assembly/

I've been making some headway, but everytime I make two steps forward, I take one step back. I got the rear suspension all back together and the diff up in there. Then we were hanging the tranny up in there when on the nuts on the other side of the sheetmetal broke loose from the weld. GODDAMMIT!!!!! So now I need to cut an access panel to get at it with a wrench and the welder. I guess its kinda fitting, since the one for the rear of the control arm right next to it has it's threads pretty well mangled.

Hopefuly this week I can get the car back on the ground with the motor in and a start on plumbing.
→Dan

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

PB Blaster usually works for all but the most stubborn bolts for me. Sometimes it helps to use a wire brush to clean the bolt/nut area so the oil can get through easier. That stuff has some wicked wicking proporties. Much better than WD 40 IMHO. Spray it on, give it a little while, and bam. No sticky nuts. Helps em go back in, too.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:
BAC5.2 wrote:Whats wrong with the diff support bushings?

They were just too small for the Legacy bracket. I crawled under my buddies GD and the bracket definately has smaller bushings. Its all good. He bought those from me so I don't have them just laying around.
I did some investigating, and yeah there isn't anything out there for our rear diff bracket. I've even approached a few vendors about making some, and unless I could get x amount of people committed to buy some, I'd have to buy them, or something like that. I've got an email or something with the numbers.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

What kind of muffler do you have?
'94 TW
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

93Leg-c wrote:What kind of muffler do you have?

I've got an ebay exhaust that I will be hacking up to fit the Legacy and my rotated mount.

This morning I cut an access panel in front of those two mounting points and got a new nut welded in there. Hopefull tonight I'll have the motor and tranny in. I'll post pics tomorrow.
→Dan

206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

awesome build man, great job. :-D
got any pics of the rotated mount uppipe/downpipe?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Made good progress yesterday. I cut an access panel to get at that nut on the inside. I wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It just sucked welding it back shut, since undercoating like to catch on fire :lol:

Motor and tranny are in. I'll start the plumbing on sunday. I hope to have the radiator mounted and uppipe/downpipe done.

Youcan see the difference in teh stubs. It's nice how that kinda stuff comes on a slow boat from japan.

Oh, and that ebay h-brace was a biotch to fit. I had to seriously elongate of the holes. :roll:

We also tried one of my buddy's WRX wheels over my brakes. They fit, but barely. I don't know it that would be enough clearance.

→Dan

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

you should clean your engine bay before its too late!!!
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah those brakes are pretty close.....I don't know...you may be ok though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT