Instrument Panel Bulbs Part List

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Instrument Panel Bulbs Part List

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

So I searched and it seems that information is all over the place and a little incomplete, so I thought it would be nice to have it all in one place for folks to reference.

That being said, I don't have any information to supply so I was hoping people could jump in.

What I am trying for is a complete list of bulb types for the instrument cluster (speedo, tach, fuel, temp and dummy lights) including, oem replacement and led replacement.

Thanks guys.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: Instrument Panel Bulbs Part List

Post by BSOD2600 »

Have you already checked the parts catalog posted in the Stuff you need to know forum?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Parts book will have all the subaru part #'s.

This lists the wattage, which may not be hugely useful...

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ns/120.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Is there a way to reference the oem part number and find the equivalent LED bulb? I am looking to redue all of the lights for my interior with led but want to make sure i get all the right bulbs before I tear the cluster out.
'93 Stroker T-Leg - Weisco forged internals, 440cc gray tops, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake manifold, EJ25 phase 1 crank, JDM STi 5-speed mated to 4.11 lsd rear end
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That I don't know. Where are you purchasing LED instrument bulbs?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Drop in led bulbs will give you "hot spots" in the cluster. If you feel up to it, you can solder in led strips. Its not easily reversable but its the best way to go in my opinion, heres a link to a D.I.Y write up http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21431
And since that write up is second gen based, heres a picture of the back of my cluster with the positive and negative marked.
Heres a crappy phone picture of the whole cluster back.
The HVAC controls take two 74 bulbs, the shifter indicator (auto) takes one 194, the cluster takes two 194 bulbs and four 74 bulbs, and the ring around the cigarette lighter takes one 74. Also, as a note, you can't totally remove all of the green coloured film on the gauges as some is in the plastic.

Heres how my cluster turned out with a 36 inch strip of white leds installed, the shade of blue is caused by the bit of colouring in the gauge plastic. I did cut the strip in half to make life easier.
Thats on full brightness and I can see the colour during the day.
If you decide to go the led strip route and theres anything you need to know, I should be able to help out.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

Hmm, that looks really good. Danny I might have to require your assistance when I tackle doing this. Where did you purchase the LED strip from?

Also my issue is that it is going to be too bright, I dont want to have to turn my illum all the way down because I have a few gauges wired up that would show up too dim if that was the case.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I got the strip at Autozone and, myself, I always have the lights turned all the way up to keep the leds from looking like they are in five places at once when I quickly glance down at night. As long as you don't get some crazy bright leds full brightness should be fine.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
2.2TLegacy
First Gear

Post by 2.2TLegacy »

In case i decide to go with just bulb replacements, does anyone happen to know the bulb types that make up the cluster illum.?
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Hey Danny, do you know the part number or model number for the strip of leds you purchased? I think i'm going to try to do this this summer. A lot of my bulbs appear to be burned out.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

On my second gen I was able to gently sand the green coating off the back of the gauge face, and with just that done and the green condoms removed the gages where white, it actually looked decent.

I have a spare first gen cluster here that I am going to try to give the same treatment to....one day.
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I think in the sl-i thread danny said that wasn't very feasible on the 1st gen clusters, but i probably should re-read it. I was hoping the originator of the sl-i thread would mention what set of smds he got. I'm trying to figure out what the brightness should be and if they were the top mounted ones or the side mounted ones.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
LegacyW90
In Neutral

Post by LegacyW90 »

Danny-G wrote:Drop in led bulbs will give you "hot spots" in the cluster. If you feel up to it, you can solder in led strips. Its not easily reversable but its the best way to go in my opinion, heres a link to a D.I.Y write up http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21431
And since that write up is second gen based, heres a picture of the back of my cluster with the positive and negative marked.
Heres a crappy phone picture of the whole cluster back.
The HVAC controls take two 74 bulbs, the shifter indicator (auto) takes one 194, the cluster takes two 194 bulbs and four 74 bulbs, and the ring around the cigarette lighter takes one 74. Also, as a note, you can't totally remove all of the green coloured film on the gauges as some is in the plastic.

Heres how my cluster turned out with a 36 inch strip of white leds installed, the shade of blue is caused by the bit of colouring in the gauge plastic. I did cut the strip in half to make life easier.
Thats on full brightness and I can see the colour during the day.
If you decide to go the led strip route and theres anything you need to know, I should be able to help out.

Is there any way you could show pictures of what it looks like in the back? With the strips you sauldered and where did you get the led strips.