1991 legacy AT issues

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

danielashby
In Neutral

1991 legacy AT issues

Post by danielashby »

I got a 91 legacy wagon with 2.2 and auto transmission. it hasn't had any transmission issues before today. i drove it about 150 miles this morning on the highway at 75mph with no issues. then i drove it about 12 miles out of town with no problems. as soon as i headed back into town it wasn't shifting into OD on the highway. in town it seemed like it was running a gear low and finally on the hill up to my house it started slipping and took everything it had to make it up the hill. coasted it to my house and when i stopped it wouldn't move in any gear. i shut it off and let it sit for about 15 minutes. when you start it and put it in drive it will go for about 30 feet then cut out and feel like its in neutral. It gave me codes 24, 32 and 33. Is this all being caused by a bad speed sensor? or is the tranny done? the speedometer still works. the fluid was full and it wasn't burnt, very little shavings on the magnet on the pan or in the filter. also its a 4eat. thanks for any help.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: 1991 legacy AT issues

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Welcome to the BBs.
24 Air control valve
32 Oxygen sensor
33 Vehicle speed sensor

Of the 3 the 33 could cause the most drivability issues, but the car should still move. Somtimes the speedo cable's 'head' that connects to the trans breaks, but the speedo shouldn't work well/ at all.

When you turn the key to ON (not start) does the POWER light flash 16 times? If so there's a code stored there, too.Here's how to get codes.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
danielashby
In Neutral

Post by danielashby »

That is how i got those codes.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Gotcha....those are TCU not ECU:

24 Duty solenoid C

32 Vehicle speed sensor 1
33 Vehicle speed sensor 2

Have you tried the FWD fuse?

These AWD 4EATs are open diffs.

Putting it into 1st is supposedly a way to 'lock' the center diff so @ least one wheel on each end is getting torque.

My step-son's Legacy had a broken front CV joint and the car didn't move too well after that.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
danielashby
In Neutral

Post by danielashby »

I messed around with it some more today. I put new AFT in and drove it around the driveway. Now it goes into all the gears but it slips really bad in every gear. I'm thinking it might be the torque converter? Would that make more sense? when i put it in 1st it does the same thing, still slips. Also there is no fuse in the FWD fuse holder. this is normal right? if i put a fuse in there would it make a difference in drivability? Thanks for the advice.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
It doesn't sound good.....

Correct- No fuse means it's normal mode. If you put in a fuse, the FWD light will come on AND if the DUTY C is working it will force it into FWD-only.

I honestly don't know the symptoms of bad TC- other than it not working while cruising.

Hopefully one of the smart guys will jump in.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You could try putting a fuse in to see if it makes any difference, but it could be the torque converter or something else internal to the transmission. Either way, it's not good and would at the very least require dropping the valve body and potentially more.

I personally would recommend trying to find a used AT to stick in it. It'll likely cost less than a rebuild and may have less issues. I really haven't heard of a lot of people that have been very happy after a trans rebuild. There's always some nagging problem.

If you can find a shop that will do a free diagnostic or at least where you can describe the symptoms to, they may be able to either confirm or deny the problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
danielashby
In Neutral

Post by danielashby »

Ok, One of the guys I work with has a 1990 legacy with what sounds like a bad hub or something that he said I could have for $300. They changed something in the 4eat between 1990 and 1991 right? or is it just the shift pattern and the hold button? I called the local junk yard and they want $400 for a tranny with 300,000 + miles. none of the local shops will do a free diagnosis i'd have to tow it about 2 hours to the big city for a free diagnosis.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

From what I see in the parts book the 90 & 91 AWD non-turbo AT trans are identical (have the same part #).
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
danielashby
In Neutral

Post by danielashby »

I'll probably just go that route than. thanks for the input
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

and the '90-'91 are the same FD ratio: 4.11

Also, it's been stated on the USMB site that the '95-'98 will also work and are 4.11 - if from an EJ22-equipped car.
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T