Clutch issues after engine swap

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

96Impreza
In Neutral

Clutch issues after engine swap

Post by 96Impreza »

Hey guys, you were so helpful with my last clutch issue (that really wasnt, and was posted under another account) that I've come back for more.

A little background:
Had/have a '91 Legacy FWD 5spd with EJ22 that I had done the clutch in about 3k miles ago. She was pretty beat, but ran and drove solid. I picked up a cheap 96 Impreza Outback Sport AWD 5spd with a EJ18 in it and a bad clutch (and from the gobs of oil everywhere, probably a bad rear main seal). I decided to swap my EJ22 with recent clutch into the Impreza. I'll spare you story of my trouble, but as it sits now, the EJ22 is running great in it. However, I cannot seem to adjust the clutch (Cable type) in a way that works.

The issue:
I am relatively new to the mechanical world, with only a few smaller projects (water pump, and a clutch) and this has been my biggest project. However, what seems to be my issue is that no matter my adjustment of the cable, the throwout bearing is still riding the pressure plate and resulting in the car not moving more than a few inches before it starts slipping hard. I pulled the engine and double checked everything, remembered that I had not installed the repair sleeve from when I did the clutch job on the 91 (still installed on the block I dropped into this 96-- didn't touch any of that). So I moved the repair sleeve over and redid the throwout bearing clips because one was hanging partially off. Reinstalled the engine and had the same slipping issue.

As you will see from the videos, I think there is something up with the fork, or the t/o bearing. I do not know. It seems I cannot keep enough tension on the cable to keep the pedal freeplay where it should be, but also not engage the t/o bearing on the pressure plate.The pictures are from this last time I pulled the engine after I adjusted the clips and put the repair sleeve on. This is how it was right before I dropped it back in and hooked everything back up.

I've attached a couple short videos and some pictures. If you need any additional information or pictures, just ask. I may pull the engine again tomorrow for further inspection and pictures. Quite frustrated with what should be a simple swap.

Clutch fork video 1

Clutch fork video 2

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clutch issues after engine swap

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome back to the BBS.

I'm not sure if you got this issue resolved or not, but I guess a question I had is what brand/type of clutch & pressure plate was used?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm